I thought long and hard about what I wanted my last blog of 2015 to say as the year comes to a close. What message did I want to share as I put this year to bed to begin a new one?
It’s been a tough year full of incredible change. This change was both very difficult and amazing all at the same time. I have talked some about that in previous blogs and will not talk about it today.
When your life does a complete 360, both personally and professionally all in one year, the year-end musings can be more thoughtful and introspective than ever before. I find myself tonight reflecting on this year and looking for the positives amidst all the difficulties. There are many.
I keep coming back to something that I have said before. It’s all about the people and it’s all about the love.
Love takes many forms.
- Love is your husband letting you go so you can be the person you need to be.
- Love is listening when someone finally lets everything out and just completely falls apart.
- Love is standing by and supporting someone when they are making changes that will affect your life.
- Love is a “How are you doing?”
- Love is a random card or gift just to brighten your day, completely out of left field.
- Love is a kind word.
- Love is seeing beyond the silence. Noticing.
- Love is having faith in someone when they can’t find the way to have that faith in themselves.
- Love is an “I miss you.”
- Love is an offer of shelter while you figure it all out.
- Love is a phone call. Just to check in.
- Love is finding time to help when you really don’t have it.
- Love is your kids having your back 100%.
- Love is a “you go girl” or private message of encouragement or advice from people you have never met.
- Love is being reminded of just how much you have to offer this world.
- Love is when someone makes you feel beautiful even when you don’t.
- Love is taking the time and being there.
Love is a lot of things to people. Many of these things may not be apparent if you don’t pay attention.
Love is a lot of different things to me but tonight I reflect on the incredible love I have received during this difficult year.
I am fortunate to have amazing family and friends. Truly, awesomely amazing. Everything listed above and more was gifted to me this year. A year that I thought, at some points, would break this typically strong and resilient woman who kept much of those difficulties well hidden. I don’t know how I would have fared without that abundance of love, caring and compassion sometimes from places so completely unexpected.
Today, I am in the best place that I have ever been in my life and so excited and positive about what the future holds. Every day is not perfect nor do I expect it to be but life looks damned good right now. In the end, the struggle has been worth it.
This blog is intensely personal but there is a message, a message that I hope you take into the holidays and every day of the New Year ahead.
- What you do matters.
- How you treat people matters.
- Your time matters.
- Your kind words matter.
- Your thoughtfulness matters.
- Your offer to help matters.
- Being there matters.
- Your love matters.
It mattered to me.
This season and in the New Year to come – I wish you love!